Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Slice of Life...

I was giving a demonstration today and told my avid listeners a quick story.

"When I was a little girl, in kindergarten, my dad had just come home from deer hunting. I almost saw him die right in front of me...
He was a bow hunter and used those sharp broad head arrows...you know, the ones like razors. Somehow, when he was putting away his equipment, he caught his inner bicep on one of those arrows--it sliced right into his artery. You know how your heart beats? ba-boom ba-boom?

I remember a white freezer and a white refrigerator in the kitchen and the linoleum floor. As his heart beat, the blood splattered everything white with red drops as huge as silver dollars.

He grabbed a dishtowel, screaming at my mom. She didn't know how to drive a stick shift. I remember cowering down in the back while he yelled at her what to do and her panic and the vehicle chugging and finally getting to the hospital. When the door was opened on the passenger side, blood ran into the parking lot...."

I explained safety procedures on how to hold/use/cut and stay seated with an Exacto knife-- and the dangers of those Razor edges....and how NOT to hold your hand widespread on paper as you slide your blade down through it ................................................................................... ..................Whereupon.......I promptly cut my hand!


(That Travelall...I drove to highschool in that as a freshman!)

5 comments:

Dan Johnson said...

That must have been frightening. And what are the odds of cutting yourself in a safety demonstration?
Ironic...

Dan Johnson said...

Is that your vehicle BTW? Awesome!

B. Diederich said...

Well, we HAD that International when growing up...wish we still did. I just remember being super-embarrassed to drive it to school...

Dan Johnson said...

It's a classic! One of my first jobs was working in a car lot and one day I had to deliver one of those about 100 miles to another dealership. Pretty sweet ride...

drollgirl said...

ACK!!! 2 horrifying stories!!! but i am relieved your dad and you survived them both!!!